Daylight has grown shorter which can make it hard to motivate to make dinner. This oven roasted chicken couldn’t be more easy, and you get to drink our winter ale while you prep!
- 1 small chicken, about 4.5-5lbs
- 2 cans of Tipsy Toboggan
- 1 onion, diced
- 8-10 small potatoes, scored
- 3-4 carrots, whole
- 1-2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cinnamon stuck, 3 clove stems (optional)
- Generous dose of Old Bay
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place a baking dish, roasting pan or dutch oven on a baking sheet. With a can opener along the seam of the can, open the Tipsy Toboggan and take a few sips and/or pour about 1/2 off the beer out.
- Set the can in the center of the dish, add orange slice, cinnamon stick, and cloves.
- Pour remaining can of Tipsy Toboggan into dish. Arrange vegetables.
- In a small bowl, stir together the seasoning mix.
- In another bowl, add the softened butter. Add a few pinches (about 1/3 of the mix) of the spice mix to the butter and stir together until combined and smooth. Gently lift the skin of the chicken and rub the butter all over the breasts (UNDER the skin) and the thighs, if you can get to them. You only have to add a thin layer because much of the butter will run out of the chicken as it cooks. Push it up underneath the skin as far as it can go.
- Slice one of the oranges into 1/8-inch slices and slide them up underneath the skin – as many as you can fit in one layer.
- Gently sit the chicken on top of the can of beer, the beer can going into the cavity of the chicken.
- Rub the outsides with olive oil – don’t miss a spot! And rub the remaining spice rub over top. Slice the other orange in half and shove it face down in the top cavity of the chicken (where the neck would be).
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until inner juices run clear.
- When finished, carefully remove the pans from the oven and let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes.